Full-service provider for rail operators
Akiem Group, a major player in the European rail sector, focuses on two complementary activities: locomotive leasing and locomotive maintenance.
Our staff of experts, with backgrounds in industry, rail, logistics and finance, share two core skills:
Entrepreneurial flair: we deliver agile collaboration and innovation. We take risks to design and build new solutions to conquer new markets and guarantee lasting and profitable growth.
A client service mindset: we listen to, advise and support our customers. Our goal is to deliver the services you expect, with faultless levels of quality and safety. We protect the value of rolling stock, leaving you free to concentrate on your core business.
We provide a wide range of flexible solutions that we can adapt to match your specific needs, whether you want to:
- secure financing and access to the right locomotives for your fleet strategy,
- design and produce maintenance solutions for your fleet or as part of a leasing solution,
- optimise operating costs for your trains by improving fleet reliability and availability.
Akiem Group delivers services through two separate brands and their networks:
- Akiem, a major player in the European locomotive leasing market, designs and delivers railway traction solutions. Fully focused on innovation, Akiem is continuously looking for improvements that combine quality with efficiency and safety.
- mgw Service, an expert in locomotive maintenance, designs and delivers tailored maintenance solutions that meet the strictest safety standards to ensure the reliability of your rolling stock, wherever and whenever.
The right team and resources at your service
The Akiem Group model is unique in Europe:
- Complementary solutions from Akiem (leasing) and mgw Service (maintenance)
- Teams with excellent legal and financing skills to support your projects
- Pan-European fleet of 600 locomotives
- Backing from its shareholders, assets and financing that together provide reliable support for its customers’ projects and commercial success
- Long-term strategy
offices in europe
turnover in 2018
Major customers across Europe
We are not tied to any railway company, freight operator or rolling stock manufacturer.
Akiem Group companies are trusted by over 50 major European passenger and freight transport operators. Some of our customers are members of leading groups, including Europorte (Getlink), Rhenus Logistics, ArcelorMittal, Colas, Eurovia, CFL Cargo, Dutch Railways, Green Cargo, Lineas, ÖBB, PKP Group, Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane and SNCF…
In the beginning there were two companies
Akiem was founded in 2008, during the liberalisation of the freight market, to meet railway operators’ business needs and deliver the performance, reliability and safety standards they demand.
Akiem rapidly developed internationally thanks to its extensive and stable industrial and financial capacities. With its focus on operations in Europe, it is growing rapidly on the back of new services and a strategy for acquisitions and managed external growth, working with a diverse range of customers.
mgw Service was founded by two entrepreneurs in 2005 to meet the growing demand for locomotive maintenance services. The company grew rapidly thanks to the quality and reliability of its services.
Partnering with service providers, it soon extended its maintenance network from Kassel and Krefeld in Germany to a series of other sites in Europe.
mgw Service joined Akiem Group in 2017. It is this alliance of two separate yet complementary activities that makes Akiem Group a unique player in the European market.
Akiem Group is now owned 50:50 by Transport et Logistique Partenaires (an SNCF Mobilités company) and Eurotraction (a DWS company). It continues to experience organic growth in its two specialties and is consolidating its network and presence across Europe.
- Akiem signs a sale & leaseback contract with NSR for 45 TRAXX BR186 DABNL.
- Akiem signs a new €140-million financing contract
- Akiem becomes the first locomotive leasing company to order 10 TRAXX MS3 from Bombardier Transportation
- Akiem Group, owned 50:50 by TLP and Eurotraction, acquires all the equity in Akiem Holding.
- Akiem acquires 100% of the equity in mgw Service GmbH Co. KG and BBW KG & GmbH Krefeld.
- Akiem orders 44 DE18 from Vossloh.
- Akiem signs a framework agreement with Bombardier Service for 52 TRAXX BR186 and BR185.
- Eurotraction, a DWS company (formerly Deutsche Asset Management), acquires 50% of the equity in Akiem, opening a new chapter in the company’s expansion with new investment in capital equipment and inorganic growth.
- Akiem purchases 20 TRAXX DC2 from Bombardier Transportation.
- Ermewa Group acquires 100% of the equity in TLP.
- Contract for acquisition of Vossloh G1000 locomotives.
- Contract for acquisition of EMD Class 77 locomotives.
- First contract for acquisition of Bombardier TRAXX electric locomotives.
- Acquisition of the Veolia Cargo Locomotive fleet.
- Sale & leaseback operation – 270 Alstom locomotives for Fret SNCF.
- Creation of Akiem, a subsidiary of TLP.